The Bernese Mountain Dog Club of Northern California is a regional club recognized by the Bernese Mountain Dog Club of America (the BMDCA). Founded in the Spring of 1995, its founding members include Marty and Carolyn Lockhart, also founding members of the BMDCA.The mission of our Club is to support, educate and involve members in events that:
- Advance the Working ability of the Bernese Mountain Dog (e.g., carting, agility, herding, tracking, obedience, conformation);
- Promote the betterment of health in the Bernese Mountain Dog (e.g., educational speakers, publishing newsletters, working with the National Club);
- Preserve the Bernese Mountain Dog's breed type, disposition, and temperament in accordance with the breed standard (e.g., educating owners and breeders);
- Socialize with Berners and their owners by providing opportunities to have fun with other dog fanciers (e.g., picnics, campouts, parties, matches, hikes, show days);
- Serve as Ambassadors of the Bernese Mountain Dog, always acting in an ethical manner and preserving the integrity of our code of ethics (educate public);
- Result in AKC recognition as an independent regional club.
We welcome Bernese owners and admirers to join us at any of our many fun events. Anyone may join, whether you own a Berner at this time or not! Advantages of joining a breed club before having a dog include being able to meet dogs from many different breeders, meeting breeders themselves, and finding out more about the breed. You’ll learn more in one afternoon spent with 30 Berners than you will from any internet search! And for anyone already living with a Berner, the club provides a wonderful support network to share in your joys and successes as well as any problems or challenges you may encounter.